Sunday, July 15, 2012

There's Something Wrong with Those Chickens

Yes, my spidey sense, or rather my poultry sense was telling me that there was something wrong with these chickens of ours. We've had an eventful introduction to life with chickens. To kick things off, one of the two chicks that somehow snuck there way home with my kids died on day three.  Mike said this wasn't out of the ordinary, but it really bothered me.  So, I decided to keep a closer eye on these things.  And my closer eye came with questions. Why aren't they eating that much? What's that weird sound they are making?  Where are the eggs????  (We had only gotten one so far, but we attributed the shortage to the fact that they were molting.) Not to mention, they were so, well, lazy....half of them were always in the coop lounging around.  Of course I voiced these concerns on a daily basis driving Michael to the point of insanity.
Now, the next part of the story I didn't learn until later.  But, these chickens were definitely defective.  This morning Mike went out to open the coop, and a short time later I saw him Googling chicken illness. I asked questions, but was used to my chicken inquiries being ignored by now, so I went about the morning, getting the kids ready for church.  As we were about to leave Mike popped his head in the door, said, "I'll catch up with you at church...I have to go down the road."
This is a pretty common happening around here.  I'm never sure exactly what's going on down the road, but it had to be about six or seven years ago that I stopped asking.  It's just better that I don't know everything.
Anyway, fast forward to the middle of church, my curiousity gets the better of me, and I ask.  I'll give you the short version.  Mike goes out to open coop.  Big chicken looks half dead.  Mike Googles weird gurgling sound they've been making...finds out it's probably chicken pneumonia. Goes out and half dead chicken is now a completely dead chicken. Returns seven defective chickens, demading money back.  Gets money back and goes to more reputable farm and gets eight new hens.  End of story.
Oh, but it's a happy ending. After a week and a half with one egg, we got FOUR eggs just this afternoon.  We were wondering if any of the kids would notice the switch, and after a couple of minutes Emily did the math and asked the appropriate questions.  Noah was also shocked when he got pecked by one, very lively lady, since he had become accustomed to comatose state of our previous flock.  The best picture below is the moment when Emily and Noah were trying to figure out where the eighth chicken came from....
                                                                                         


2 comments:

  1. Chicken Pneumonia????? I'm not getting near those eggs......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you not read the whole post??? no eggs from defective chickens... EGGS from NEW HEALTHY CHICKENS. geesh. Who says I was offering anyway...?

    ReplyDelete