In case you're wondering who those parents are on the sidelines during a little girls' soccer match that are frantically waving their arms, jumping up and down and shouting out directions to the players....well, um...that's me.
Today was Emily's first soccer game, and all five of us were there to cheer her to a win. I didn't know what to expect, because although she did well during practice, I wasn't sure how she would perform when the pressure was on. Nor did I foresee MY performance on the sidelines as crazy soccer mom.
I honestly expected that I would miss half of the game just trying to chase my toddler off the fields, and I was hoping that Mike wouldn't try to commandeer the coach's job with all of his sideline directions. Well, it turns out that I moonlight as a sideline coach as well. I'm embarrassed to admit how many occasions I tried to get Emily's attention to push her down the field more or tell her to stay with the ball. And, as many times as I told the mom sitting next to me that I was going to stop now and calm down, my verbal input to the game increased with every play.
Luckily, I was in the company of a lot of moms just like me, and I was too worked up to worry about what the ones that were calmly and cooly just watching from their folding chairs were thinking of me. And, maybe by sheer force of will on my part, her team won by several goals. Such an exciting morning! I can't wait for next week when I will try much harder to remember it's all about just having fun (seriously...who really believes that?). Ahem.
No comments:
Post a Comment